Coping With a Spinal Cord Injury After a Serious Florida Accident
Sustaining a spinal cord injury after a serious Florida accident can be devastating. With the loss of movement or sensation, it can be common for people to feel grief after the injury. Combined with this sense of sadness, some people also experience long-term health problems and must relearn how to perform daily activities.
Similar to mourning a death, there is a common grieving process that many who have experienced a spinal cord injury go through. This may include:
- Denial: During this phase, you may still believe that your spinal injury is only temporary and will go away.
- Sadness: Because sustaining an injury can lead to a feeling of loss, sadness is a common emotion.
- Anger: You may experience intense anger following a spinal cord injury. In some cases, you may even be driven to direct your anger toward others or harbor feelings of hostility about your Florida accident.
- Bargaining: During the bargaining process, you may begin to accept what has happened to you, but you might also try to bargain with God or a higher power to let your life return to how it was previously.
- Acceptance: The final stage of the grieving process is acceptance. During this stage, you accept that your injuries are permanent and begin to set goals and attempt to find meaning in your life.
Adjusting to life with a spinal cord injury after a serious Florida accident can be difficult, and may require the assistance of a mental health professional. Your counselor can help you set realistic goals and give you coping tips so you can continue to live a rich and rewarding life.
Learn more about spinal cord injuries as the result of a serious Florida accident by visiting our article library.
Contacting a South Florida Personal Injury Attorney
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury because of someone else’s carelessness or negligence, a South Florida personal injury lawyer can advise you on how to build a solid personal injury claim in Florida. Florida has strict limits on when you can bring a claim against another party so, you shouldn’t wait too long after your Florida accident to file your personal injury claim. It’s always best to schedule a no-cost consultation with an experienced South Florida personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
With Ellsley Sobol, P.L. on your side, you can focus on your recovery while we fight to obtain just compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. Contact us today at 954-888-7720 or toll-free 888-258-6914.